Nordisk Polyphon Aktieselskab
1920 - 1978
Nordisk Polyphon Aktieselskab (abbreviated Nordisk Polyphon A/S) was a Danish record company based in Copenhagen.
It was founded in 1920 under the direction of Axel Jensen as a subsidiary of German Polyphonwerke A.-G.. During the early years local artists were released on the Polyphon and/or Polyphon Musik labels and international on Polydor.
In 1935 Werner Hamburger joined Nordisk Polyphon A/S from Deutsche Grammophon in Germany. He became the head of the company in 1946 and lead it to become the biggest record company in Denmark in the 1960’s, with distribution of numerous foreign labels including Deutsche Grammophon (from 1946), Brunswick, Coral, Decca, and CBS (from 1963).
In 1962 Nordisk Polyphon A/S was merged with Philips Grammofon Industri, the Danish subsidiary of Philips Phonografische Industrie. By this time the company released their own recordings of popular Danish artists on Fontana, Melody, Philips, Polydor and their own NPA label, the recording sessions mainly taking place in Odd Fellow Palæet and Islev Bio in Copenhagen.
In 1971 Nordisk Polyphon A/S launched Magnet Music Production A/S under the direction of Johnny Reimar, and in 1972 subsidiaries Polydor Denmark and Phonogram A/S (2).
In 1978 Nordisk Polyphon A/S was renamed into Polygram Records A/S.