1929 - ?
Decca Records began as a British record label established in 1929 by Edward Lewis. Its U.S. label was established in late 1934; however, owing to World War II, the link with the British company was broken for several decades.
The name "Decca" dates back to a portable gramophone called the "Decca Dulcephone" patented in 1914 by musical instrument makers Barnett Samuel and Sons. That company was eventually renamed The Decca Gramophone Co. Ltd. and then sold to former stockbroker Edward Lewis in 1929.
Within years, Decca Records Ltd. was the second largest record label in the world, calling itself "The Supreme Record Company".
The name "Decca" was coined by Wilfred S. Samuel by merging the word "Mecca" with the initial D of their logo "Dulcet" or their trademark "Dulcephone."
Samuel, a linguist, chose "Decca" as a brand name as it was easy to pronounce in most languages.
Decca bought the UK branch of Brunswick Records and continued to run it under that name.
In the 1950s the American Decca studios were located in the Pythian Temple in New York City.