АРТИСТОТИПИЯ

2021-09-09T14:58:55+02:00September 9th, 2021|

АРТИСТОТИПИЯ (Artistotipia) was a “prestigious” phonograph records label originally manufactured by the Berlin gramophone society “International Extra Record”, and later by Kiev factory “Extraphone”. The first records appeared in 1909. It was an extremely interesting label that included popular performers from gypsy and romance singers up to opera prima donnas and outstanding Ukrainian singers of that era.

Source: A.Tikhonov / Russian-Records

Бека-Грандъ-Пластинка

2021-09-09T14:27:51+02:00September 9th, 2021|

«Beka Records» was a record label based in Germany, active from about 1903 to 1925. Before the Great War Beka also made gramophone records for the United Kingdom and Russian markets under the «Beka-Grand-Record» label. Russian repertoir of the company was vast; according to A.Zhelezny the first records were made as early as 1905 (1906 according to P.Grunberg).

Beka often sold their Russian matrixes to another gramophone companies.

After the Great War broke out in 1914 Бека-Грандъ-Пластинка stopped all operations in Russia. Eventually, the company became a subsidiary of the «Carl Lindström A.G.» group which was sold to the Columbia Graphophone Company in 1926.

Source: Russian-Records

Экстрафонъ

2021-09-09T14:59:29+02:00September 9th, 2021|

Russian label produced by Общества Экстрафонъ (Extraphone Co.) in Kiev between 1911 and 1919. The same company also released the label “Артистотипия“.

“At the beginning of the last century along with Petersburg, Moscow, Riga and Warsaw, the fifth «gramophone» Capital of the Russian empire was Kiev. The branch of the Berlin company «International Extra Record» started to operate there in 1909. Originally, Germans performed their operations on the shores of Neva River via «The Trading House Guess», but serious Capital’s rivals had forced them to search for other markets and partners. The choice had fallen on Ukraine – the land, rich in musical traditions and bright talents…”  A.Tikhonov.

Source: Discogs / Russian-Records

 

SPHINX

2019-10-22T12:13:21+02:00Oktober 22nd, 2019|

SPHINX GRAND RECORD was a small company founded in 1914 in Warsaw. The repertoire of Russian records was very limited.

It ceased to exist in the beginning of 1915.

Source: Russian Records

 

ГНОМ КОНЦЕРТ РЕКОРД

2019-10-22T11:19:52+02:00Oktober 22nd, 2019|

A small gramophone company which appeared in St.-Petersburg in 1911. The board and pressing plant located on 2 Karavannaya Street. The owner of the company was I.F.Zdanovich, the co-owner and sound expert A.L.Levin.

The first records with «Gnom Concert Record» label appeared on sale by the end of 1911. The records quality was poor; the repertoir was limited to performances of minor actors.

By the end of 1912 «Gnom Record» records disappeared from shops and never appeared again.

Source: Russian Records

 

ARIOPHONE

2019-11-27T10:14:35+01:00Oktober 22nd, 2019|

Small Warsaw company owned by Z. Klamborowski was active during 1909-1913 and located on 54 Przyokopowej, Warsaw.

Probably, the factory was set up already in 1898 in Poznan, and in 1909 moved to Warsaw.

Source: Russian Records

 

AURORA

2019-11-27T10:50:45+01:00Oktober 22nd, 2019|

«Aurora Record» was a rare pirate label used by Petersburg businessman K. Mazel. Besides «Aurora» he owned the more common but also pirate label «Tonophone».
In 1911 the company was transformed into legal «Zwukopis» label.

Source: Russian Records

 

ORPHEON RECORD

2019-08-12T16:08:48+02:00August 12th, 2019|

Russian record company founded by D.A. Finkelstein in St. Petersburg; active between 1909-1911.

Right from the start, the company boasted an amazing repertoire of contributors such as Enrico Caruso and Feodor Chaliapin. Soon, however, it became clear that it simply pirated releases of the British Gramophone label.
Briefly, the company tried to legitimize its activities by engaging in a partnership with Columbia, but continued its pirating activities until the Russian parliament passed copyright legislation in March 1911.

The company then reorganized and morphed into the Русское Акцiонерное Общество Граммофоновъ (Russian Gramophone Stock Company), which existed until 1918.

Source: Russian-Records

 

Апрелевский Завод / Aprelevskii Zavod

2019-03-01T15:37:09+01:00März 1st, 2019|

Апрелевский Завод (Aprelevskii Zavod) was the USSR’s largest state label. Its production plant was based in the Aprelevka, Moscow region.

When the Russian Empire became the Soviet Union, Метрополь Рекордъ was nationalized and named
“Апрелевская фабрика РАОГ” in October 1917, then
“Завод памяти 1905 года” in autumn 1925.

Production was stopped from November-December 1918 to 31 October 1919 and from the end of 1921 to June 1925.

In 1933 the plant became part of Грампласттрест, and a new matrix numeration was began.

During the Second World War the plant paused manufacturing on 30 October 1941 and continued in October 1942.

In 1964 the plant became a part of Мелодия.

Label name variations:

  • Апрелевская фабрика РАОГ

  • Апрелевский завод грампластинок

  • Московский завод памяти 1905 года

  • Мособлсовнархоз РСФСР Апрелевский Завод Грампластинок

  • Завод памяти 1905 года

Among non-Russian speaking collectors the label is often referred to as “Torch” due to the logo.

Source: Discogs